Tuesday, March 14, 2006

This morning is cold. I can't get out of my mind the people on the street who had no rest last night. I am reminded of a scene from Schindler's List. In one of the last scenes, Schindler is with a group of people whom survived the holocaust through his efforts. Overwhelmed at the situation he loses control and starts wranting about what else he could have sold or done to save one more person.

I don't know what to do with scenes like this. I am grieved by my moral deficiency. Thank God for the church that carries on the Incarnation of his Son in the world by the Spirit.

"They are too much embarrassed to confess their sins nakedly, lest their confessors should think less of them, so they palliate them and make them appear less evil, and thus it is to excuse themselves rather than to accuse themselves that they go to confession" (From Dark Night of the Soul, II.4).

No comments: