I am suspending my usual Monday morning quote in order to post a few notes I took from last nights Academy Awards.
Stay tuned for tomorrow when I silence my own voice and opinion in order to listen to wisdom in the words of others.
But today, let the opining begin!
- Bill Crystal seemed off, didn’t he? Except for the opening bit. I kind of liked that one.
- Way to go Octavia Spencer!
- The editing categories got the shaft, like they always do.
- Emma Stone was actually kinda funny.
- James Earl Jones should do more voice-overs.
- Maybe one or two of the best picture nominees will actually matter in the long run (meaning that the best movies are mostly certainly not always nominated).
- Warrior and Another Earth would have been in my top ten nominees for best picture.
- I think The Tree of Life was better than The Descendants and probably The Artist, but I haven’t seen it yet.
- What was up with all the Ellen commercials?
- I enjoy film, but the Oscar show itself always underwhelms me. I am less inclined each year to watch.
- Robert Downey Jr. should be on Saturday Night Live more.
- Johan Hill should not even have been nominated for best supporting actor.
- Just once, I want someone to wear a dress from Target or Kohl’s.
- Not that he was my choice, but I thought Clooney had best actor locked in, although I’m not surprised at Dujardin.
- If we went back to only five best picture nominees, here’s who I would pick: The Artist, The Descendants, The Help, Hugo, and The Tree of Life.
- I think Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close got the nomination only because it's related to 9/11.
- Is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo really THAT good?
- Congrats to The Artist for best picture. I haven’t seen it yet but me thinks maybe a little nostalgia played into the decision? But maybe it was really that good. I'll let you know.
- Tough choice for best actress. I hope it was too close to call and that there was a mutiny in the back room where the Academy meets, with the Meryl Streep fans muscling out the Michelle Williams and Viola Davis fans.
How about you? Share your own thoughts?